Saturday, February 11, 2006

strawberry cream pie

125g plain sweet biscuits
60g butter

125g pkt. cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup milk

1 punnet strawberries
1/4 cup strawberry jam
1 tblsp. water

grease deep 20cm cake pan and put two wide strips of baking paper over sides and bottom. cover the base of the tin with a circle of aluminium foil. preheat oven to moderately slow (160 - 170C)
crush biscuits finely and add melted butter, mix well. press biscuit base over base of tin. refrigerate while preparing filling.
beat cream cheese until soft and creamy, add sugar and beat well. add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. add the milk, cream and vanilla, beat until combined. pour mixture over biscuit base. cook in moderately slow oven for 45 mins or until custard has set. allow to cool, then refrigerate until well chilled. gently lift paper and remove cake from tin onto serving plate. Arrange hulled halved strawberries over top. stir jam and water over low heat until smooth. brush glaze over top of strawberries and serve with cream
*this pie has been a favourite of ours for about 15 years or so. I always like to serve it on my nan's cake stand - makes for vintage memories*
recipe comes from 'the women's weekly' cook book

3 comments:

Jacob said...

Goodness! I can't believe I am fist to post a comment here, Miss'R. I am going to send this recipe to my friend and ask her to make it for me. I cook lots, but do not bake. Maybe I should start? I got here by way of Sheila, Blue The Spa Girl's mother. Your site is a veritable gold mine of culinary delights.

You said in your comment that the days were getting shorter. So I says to myself, I says, "Hey. That chick must be from down under." And so it is that you are. Cheers!

Jacob said...

Argh!!! Meant to say FIRST, not fist!

Suzie66 said...

I love this pie, came across it by accident and now one of my favourites