Monday, May 15, 2006

persimmon chutney

6 large ripe persimmons
1 small onion
1 chilli
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. celery seeds
13/ cup raisins
1/4 currants
1 tblsp. chopped mixed peel
1 tsp. chopped ginger
1 clove garlic crushed
1/2 tsp. each of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown vinegar
1/3 cup lemon juice

chop onion and chilli. tie the mustard and celery seeds in a muslin bag. combine all ingredients, except persimmons , cover and stand overnight. Place mixture in a large saucepan and boil for 30 mins. add peeled persimmons and boil slowly until it thickens. Pour into hot sterilized jars. makes about a pint.

5 comments:

Alice said...

Dear Robyn - I'm still puzzled about what's going on, what's happened to your blog, and where you've gone to. Have you taken your other blogs off the internet?

Whatever is happening, I hope you are well and happy and WARM.

Much love - Alice.

One Crabapple said...

Robyn

I love all of these recipes but I miss YOU...

Will the new blog only be a recipe index.

OH I am not completely complaining mind you ! I think I am so hungry and inspired to cook after perusing this new blog site....that I might go coo coo being stuck at work w/ no stove / oven in sight...

BUT ! where are YOU and your wonderful thoughts and pictures ???

Where is the Pink Lady ?

LOve, S.

One Crabapple said...

ohhh I just checked the date on this blog...this is NOT your new blog.


phfffttt ! sorry ! I am laughing.

Oh well ! I will find your other blog and go there now !

jessielavon@yahoo.com said...

Just passing threw darling,come on over and see my folk art and stories of how I grew up on a cotton farm

Robert Teal said...

Hello,
The recipe sounds great. Did you use the hard (fuyu) or soft (hachiya) persimmons?
Thanks